[Matroska-devel] ReferenceTimecode tracks in Matroska proposal

Jerome Martinez jerome at mediaarea.net
Tue Jan 12 20:45:38 CET 2016

Le 10/01/2016 23:57, Dave Rice a écrit :
> [...]
> Others? LTC? VITC?

All other time codes I ever met in the digital world (I exclude time
codes "burned" in the video frame):
- MXF time code track: a single value, I think it could be converted to
T_QUICKTIME without losing information
- CPL (from IMF) time code track: a single value, I think it could be
converted to T_QUICKTIME without losing information
- WMV time code track: we need to define a new codec identifier
- SMPTE/SDTI time code track: we need to define a new codec identifier
- SMPTE/System scheme 1 time code: we need to define a new codec identifier
- LTC, VITC, ATC_LTC, ATC_VITC1, ATC_VITC2 in SMPTE ST 291 (in MXF, GXF,
LXF...): we need to define a new codec identifier for SMPTE ST 291
ancillary data stream (which can transport captions/subtitles, time
codes, bar data, acquisition metadata, audio metadata, program
description... "compound" stream kind)

I don't think we should try to define new codec identifiers for all time
code formats but T_QUICKTIME for the moment, until someone really needs it.
So I propose to start with T_QUICKTIME only.

Jérôme