[Matroska-devel] ReferenceTimecode tracks in Matroska proposal

Michael Bradshaw mjbshaw at google.com
Mon Jan 11 19:12:36 CET 2016

On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 2:57 PM, Dave Rice <dave at dericed.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Here is an early draft of Elements for managing ReferenceTimecode tracks.
> Matroska uses the term 'Timecode' to reference presentation timestamps,
> whereas other formats (QuickTime, MXF) use 'Timecode' to reference a time
> reference that is added to the timeline which is inpendent of the
> presentation (i.e. a QuickTime file with a timecode track that starts at
> one hour aka 1:00:00;00 would not cause a one hour delay before playback
> starts). In the context of Matroska I am using ReferenceTimecode (for now)
> to refer to QuickTime/MXF style timecode tracks.

Will the current timecode elements (TimecodeScale, Timecode,
ReferenceTimeCode, TrackTimecodeScale, and block's Timecode) be renamed to
"timestamp" or "presentation timestamp" (or something like that)? I hope
so. I know this is tangential to your post, but I want to get a "big
picture" in my mind of where this is going to end up. I'm also slightly
concerned that using the name "ReferenceTimecode"  will be a bit confusing
to developers, given the old ReferenceTimeCode (DivX trick track
extensions) element.

--Michael