[Matroska-devel] [Cellar] Colour Format proposal

Dave Rice dave at dericed.com
Tue Jan 5 22:54:04 CET 2016

> On Jan 5, 2016, at 4:12 PM, Frank Galligan <frankgalligan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> I would like to bring up the discussion again about better representing the color format of video. It looks like the discussion was started here [1] on matroska-devel list. I think we need to add some Colour elements so Matroska files can (potentially) more faithfully represent the video source on many devices. Here is a proposal I created to start from:
>

> Element Name: Colour
> Level:        4

Please clarify the proposed Parent Element.

[...]

> Element Name: ColourMatrix
> Level:        5
> ID:           [55][A1]
> Mandatory:    ma
> Multiple:     -
> Default:      2
> Type:         u
>               2: Unspecified,

Any reason for "Unspecified" to be #2 rather than #0? Do these numbers align with a FFmpeg/libav enumeration?

[...]

> Element Name: ChromaSubsampling
> Level:        5
> ID:           [55][A3]
> Mandatory:    ma
> Multiple:     -
> Default:      0
> Type:         u

This is mandatory, but there is no Unspecified option. If I want to clarify that a contained 4:1:1 DV stream uses bt.601 there is no valid way to say this, since if ColourMatrix is used then ChromaSubsampling must also be used, but there is no options that fit 4:1:1.

[...]

Dave Rice