[Matroska-devel] Fwd: [Cellar] Depth offsets for subtitles in case of 3D MVC tracks in MKV files

madshi via Matroska-devel matroska-devel at lists.matroska.org
Mon Feb 29 10:14:12 CET 2016

<matroska-devel at lists.matroska.org>:
>> CodecState is per Cluster, though, not per Track,
>
> This is wrong. CodecState is a child element of BlockGroup. It's effect
> as it's been meant to be understood so far is to replace CodecPrivate
> for that track from that BlockGroup onwards (until another BlockGroup
> with CodecState comes along). So it _could_ be used for changing Z-depth
> values for individual subtitle frames. However, as it's supposed to
> replace CodecPrivate I don't think it would be a good fit for Z-depth
> data as Z-depth data is additional data that changes on a frame-by-frame
> basis; it doesn't invalidate the existing CodecPrivate data.
>
> CodecState was meant for situations in which e.g. a whole new set of
> SEIs/PPSs come along.
>
> I'd prefer new elements, or maybe BlockAddition.

Ok, thanks.

I think the key thing that needs to be decided first is which of the two
following approaches we want to use:

1) Do we want to store *ALL* 3D subtitle depth information we need
into the MKV header structures? If we do that, we need to be able
to store (up to) one depth information per subtitle track per video frame.

2) Do we want to make use of the SEI 3D depth information? In that
case all we need to store in addition to that is one "int" per subtitle
track, for the whole MKV file!

Best regards, madshi.