[Matroska-devel] [Cellar] Depth offsets for subtitles in case of 3D MVC tracks in MKV files

madshi via Matroska-devel matroska-devel at lists.matroska.org
Sun Feb 28 23:12:34 CET 2016

>> Hi,
>>
>> It's like this. Suppose the MVC video track has 8 frames. Also suppose it
>> has 5 Offset Metadata Sequences embedded in it at the time of encoding.
>> (Sequence entries are in pixels, positive if in front of the screen, and
>> negative if behind.)
>>
>> Frame  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8
>> Seq1    5  1 -8 -2 -9  1 -3 -1
>> Seq2    8  1  0  8 -4 -5  4 -1
>> Seq3   -2  8 -3 -5  7  5 -5 -4
>> Seq4    9  0  0 -5 -2  1 -4 -1
>> Seq5   -9  3 -2 -4 -6  0 -3  6
>>
>> If the M2TS container has 2 subtitle tracks P1, P2 and 1 menu track I1, then
>> a mapping can be defined in the M2TS container like this:
>> P1 : Seq1
>> P2 : Seq3
>> I1  : Seq4
>
> OK, so it seems it's both in the header and in the track (the GOP is
> part of the stream, I think).

Yes. As Nithin Mathew explained (thanks!), there are SEI 3D depth info
blocks inside of the video stream. We don't need to do anything about them.
But there's additional data in the Blu-Ray playlist file(s) which
assigns specific
subtitle tracks to an "array index" in the SEI 3D depth info block.

In the meanwhile nevcairiel and I have already added full support for all
this 3D depth offset stuff to LAV Splitter/Video decoder and madVR, when
playing back original Blu-Rays. But for Matroska there's no full solution
possible yet, because the information in the playlist cannot be properly
stored yet.

It would be great if we could get an official solution for this soon, because
we'd like to implement it "now", and we have the MakeMKV devs on board
for this now, too.

Basically I think what we need is one additional item for each subtitle
track which simply assigns one SEI 3D depth array index to the subtitle
track. E.g. something like "stereo_subtitle_offset_id", or whatever. The
name is not important to me. Possible values I think are between 0..31
for 3D Blu-Rays.

One additional piece of information would be which array indexes of the
SEI 3D depth info block are assigned to IG (interactive graphics). This
could be used by media players or video renderers to decide at which
3D depth to draw the user interface (GUI/OSD). FWIW, it could be none,
one or multiple array indexes. So the information field in the MKV header
would have to be some sort of list/array. Logically this info would
probably belong to the video track. This is less important than the
subtitle assignment, though. But would still be nice to have.

Best regards, madshi.