[Matroska-devel] Voids in Matroska

Jerome Martinez via Matroska-devel matroska-devel at lists.matroska.org
Sun Feb 14 17:44:12 CET 2016

On 14/02/2016 17:35, Steve Lhomme via Matroska-devel wrote:
> <matroska-devel at lists.matroska.org>:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is there a recommendation how muxers should use Voids in Matroska?
>>
>> mkvalidator complains about void data, that mkvmerge intentionally
>> places [1].
> Another case of warning misunderstanding. It doesn't mean the file is
> invalid, like an error. It just means the file could be optimized
> further.

I use to see other validators / conformance checkers, and I usually see:
- Error: something with an huge problem, making the file unplayable
- Warning: be careful, it is valid but it may not be the expected thing,
e.g. 9 players will play the file well and 1 player will not, even if
the file is conform to specs in theory (i.e. maybe the spec was not
clear enough)
- Info: information only, you may be interested.

as the OP, I would be afraid about a warning, and consider that the
muxer creates files with potential issues (actually void elements are
harmless).
I would use the word "info" in that case.

Jérôme