[Matroska-devel] Voids in Matroska

Steve Lhomme via Matroska-devel matroska-devel at lists.matroska.org
Sun Feb 14 17:35:02 CET 2016

<matroska-devel at lists.matroska.org>:
> Hello,
>
> Is there a recommendation how muxers should use Voids in Matroska?
>
> mkvalidator complains about void data, that mkvmerge intentionally
> places [1].

Another case of warning misunderstanding. It doesn't mean the file is
invalid, like an error. It just means the file could be optimized
further.

> Having a validator complain about Voids would make me change my muxer
> (if I would and could ever write one) so it wouldn't get the warning
> anymore. However there seems to be a valid reason, from my
> understanding, that there could be Voids.
>
> They are in the specification, but I don't see a recommendation on how
> to use them.
>
> If they are indeed valuable and do not violate the specs, could
> mkvalidator not just print it as INFO line and/or warn only if a certain
> threshold of void data is found within a file?

Yes, maybe warning sounds too severe when in fact it's not.

mkvalidator returns an error when the file is invalid and 0 (IIRC) if
the file is valid. When your file only has warnings, it's actually
valid and doesn't return an error.

> Regards,
> Sebastian
>
> [1] https://github.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolnix/wiki/mkvalidator-WRN0D0-void-data