[Matroska-devel] [Cellar] Menu System in Matroska Files

Steve Lhomme via Matroska-devel matroska-devel at lists.matroska.org
Sun Feb 14 15:39:11 CET 2016

> On Feb 9, 2016, at 3:29 AM, Nithin Mathew Kurien via Matroska-devel
> <matroska-devel at lists.matroska.org> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> Since DVDMenuXtractor is incompatible with the current versions of
> MKVToolNix and VLC, and has been out of development for a long time, can we
> have a new menu specification for Matroska, designed from scratch if
> necessary?
>

> From scratch is a bit daunting. Would the dvdauthor menu xml format serve as
> a good starting point?

DVDMenuXtractor was designed to be a proof of concept of how Matroska
menus could work. I think a good menu system should be able to do what
DVDs and Blu-rays do, so that would be a good starting point.
Given that there might different ways to achieve the same goal. The
DVD format being a bit constraining. I suppose the Blu-ray one is too.

A menu system is a very big project on its own. I think we should keep
that on the side for now. We can surely discuss and start the project.
But right now that should not be the main focus.

One of the implications of this work, though, was to allow
concatenated Matroska files to play. Segments in the one file could
reference each other, since that's the main goal of a menu anyway.
Since they might not be encoded with the same size/speed/etc and
having different tracks. We should keep that in mind when finalizing
Matroska.