[Matroska-devel] Voids in Matroska

Sebastian G. <bastik> via Matroska-devel matroska-devel at lists.matroska.org
Sun Feb 14 10:44:35 CET 2016

Hello,

Is there a recommendation how muxers should use Voids in Matroska?

mkvalidator complains about void data, that mkvmerge intentionally
places [1].

Having a validator complain about Voids would make me change my muxer
(if I would and could ever write one) so it wouldn't get the warning
anymore. However there seems to be a valid reason, from my
understanding, that there could be Voids.

They are in the specification, but I don't see a recommendation on how
to use them.

If they are indeed valuable and do not violate the specs, could
mkvalidator not just print it as INFO line and/or warn only if a certain
threshold of void data is found within a file?

Regards,
Sebastian

[1] https://github.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolnix/wiki/mkvalidator-WRN0D0-void-data