[Matroska-devel] Several (minor) issues or underspecified areas in the MKV spec

Michael Bradshaw mjbshaw at google.com
Tue Sep 29 03:03:09 CEST 2015

Hi! I'll launch right into my questions:

   - In the MKV spec, where it has examples for lacing, when it says "400
   octets" does it mean 500?
   - What’s the point of default values for non-mandatory elements in the
   MKV spec? Why not make them mandatory if they have a default value?
   - Is the duration of a block always evenly distributed amongst its
   frames (for a block that has multiple laced frames in it)? I don’t see any
   explicit mention in the MKV spec as to how the block’s duration is supposed
   to be distributed to its frames, and I think that should be mentioned.
   - How can the EBMLMaxIDLength be less than 4, when the EBML and Segment
   IDs are 4 bytes? Shouldn’t the EBML spec require the range to be > 4 and
   the MKV speck require it be exactly 4?
   - Are the "EBML Elements Order Guidelines
   <http://matroska.org/technical/order/index.html>" normative? The word
   "guidelines" in the title suggests no, these are merely suggestions, but
   the language (i.e. "must") used on that page sounds like it's intended to
   be normative.

Additionally, I have several questions of a similar nature regarding the
EBML spec (including a typo); is the best place to ask those on the
ebml-specification
Github <https://github.com/Matroska-Org/ebml-specification>?

Thanks,

Michael Bradshaw