[Matroska-devel] New Matroska field: chroma range/pixel format

Jerome Martinez jerome at mediaarea.net
Thu Sep 24 16:18:00 CEST 2015

Le 24/09/2015 13:28, wm4 a écrit :
> [...]
> This is exactly what I don't want to have. There will be a mess of
> which parameters (codec or container) are preferred for which codec and
> in which situation.

Isn't it already the case with PixelWidth and PixelHeight?
Do you mean that you want them to be removed, in order not to have to
deal with a situation with incoherent values, and so many codecs already
have such metadata? ;-).

>   What if the container sets a specific parameter,
> and the codec also does? What if the codec's changes mid-stream?

Same about PixelWidth and PixelHeight.

>   We
> already have a VERY BAD mess with aspect ratios, and I know 3 different
> players which handle this in 3 different ways.
>
> I'd rather have Matroska lacking certain features than dealing with such
> a mess.

:(.
On my side, I prefer having some features even if there are issues to
deal with than preventing Matroska to be more widely used.

Here we also speak of formats which do **not** have the possibility to
store such parameter in the codec, and I think it would be a pity to
block standardization of some Matroska metadata only due to potential
incoherences between container and codec.
We could explicitly say that such Matroska metadata has lower priority
than codec metadata.