[Matroska-devel] New Matroska field: DTS

Steve Lhomme slhomme at matroska.org
Wed Sep 23 18:08:09 CEST 2015

Contrary to most old containers, Matroska doesn't contain a Decoding
Timestamp (DTS). We store the Blocks in decoding order and we store
the Presentation Timestamp (PTS). We assume the decoder will do its
best to decode the blocks on time.

It's not a problem most of the time, except when you need to transmux
to other containers that require that value and that it should be
accurate. To fix this we could add information on how to recover the
original DTS values. And it should be accurate otherwise it's useless.

I'm not 100% sure but a description in the Track Info might be
sufficient to reconstruct the values by describing the frame rate and
the number of frames it can buffer at once (16 for some H264 encoding
for example).

--
Steve Lhomme
Matroska association Chairman