[Matroska-devel] New Matroska field: chroma range/pixel format

Steve Lhomme slhomme at matroska.org
Wed Sep 23 18:00:58 CEST 2015

We currently have a ColourSpace field that is just mapped from AVI.
I'm not even sure it's used.

When storing raw video, the pixels are stored in a certain way and
decoding the pixels need some conversion from this encoding to
whatever your screen is using. Right now we don't have all the fields
needed to describe these raw data.

It may also be useful to tell easily if a H264 or VP9 video is in 8
bits per pixels, 10 or 12 bits, without having to inspect codec
private data or even Blocks.

I think a field for Chroma Subsampling (I420, I422, Y410, etc) and one
for Chroma Range (BT.608, BT.709, BT.2020) should be sufficient. The
Chroma Subsampling generally described how each "plane" is layed out
in the raw data.

--
Steve Lhomme
Matroska association Chairman