[Matroska-devel] New Matroska field: HDR

Steve Lhomme slhomme at matroska.org
Wed Sep 23 17:50:56 CEST 2015

For those following the news in television sets, the new thing this
year is HDR (High Dynamic Range). When coupled with 4K videos it gives
a bigger range of light to make more realistic pictures.

Technically it works using a side channel that's transmitted to your
TV over HDMI. I don't know why it's not part of the original decoded
video frame, but what do I know...

Since this is how it's going to be coded and transmitted (and even
recorded during filming, from what I understand) that's how we should
do it. We could either attach a new element in the BlockGroup of the
video frame or we could add a special kind of track for that.

The BlockGroup approach may be better as it's tightly coupled with the
video frame. If you have more than one video stream in your file, you
need to know who the extra track belongs to.

Alternatively we can mix tracks like we did for 3D planes with
TrackCombinePlanes.

Some people at Google are working on that, so hopefully we'll hear
from them soon.

--
Steve Lhomme
Matroska association Chairman