[Matroska-devel] Proposed IETF working group for standardization of Matroska

Sun Oct 18 19:50:38 CEST 2015

17.10.2015, 19:20 Tessa Fallon:

Thank you for your reply.

>> I had already subscribed to the Dispatch mailing list.
>>
>> Am I supposed to say something (in favor) of creating a working group,
>> even though I might not participate in working on anything regarding the
>> goal?
>>

> It is worthwhile for people to know that there is support for the
> initiative, so saying something as simple as "+1" is helpful :)

Well, then I'll do that.

>> I'm not sure if I have anything to contribute nor do I know if I would
>> find the time. I might be busy for a longer period of time and not be
>> able to give any input. I'm not even sure if I am willing to give input
>> for various reasons.
>>
>>> I look forward to your feedback and to discussion of the charter.  If
>>> you're interested in working on this, I especially hope to hear from you!

>> Realtime
>>
>> Does this name have any relevance later on? I don't know what 'Codec
>> Encoding' would mean.
>>
>> STELLAR: STructured Encoding for LossLess Archiving and Realtime
>> transmisson
>>

> The name doesn't have any significance other than as an identifier within
> the IETF.  BTW, I love STELLAR!  I'm certainly happy to mention it as an
> alternative.

Since it is 'just' an identifier I don't see benefit unless someone
would object against CELLAR.

'Cellar Door' [1] is the first thing that came to my mind as it popped
up in my mailbox, not knowing related to Matroska.

>> What do these sentences mean?
>>
>> Standardization of the track specification? The current 'standard' of
>> the track specification?

Ok, I got that they describe the goal. Thank you for explaining.

Best regards,
Sebastian G. (bastik)

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellar_door