[Matroska-devel] Proposed IETF working group for standardization of Matroska

Tessa Fallon tessa.fallon at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 19:20:34 CEST 2015

   1. Re: Proposed IETF working group for standardization of

>       Matroska (Sebastian G. <bastik>)

>         standardization of Matroska
>
> 08.09.2015, 20:32 Tessa Fallon:
>
> Hello,
>
> > A new charter for an IETF working group to standardize FFV1, FLAC, and
> > Matroska has been shared on the IETF Dispatch working group for review:
> >
> https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/dispatch/uTpBvSubeyDMTUAoupa5XZOS86Y
> >
> > If you're not already subscribed to the Dispatch mailing list, please do
> so
> > here:
>
> I had already subscribed to the Dispatch mailing list.
>
> Am I supposed to say something (in favor) of creating a working group,
> even though I might not participate in working on anything regarding the
> goal?

It is worthwhile for people to know that there is support for the
initiative, so saying something as simple as "+1" is helpful :)

> I'm not sure if I have anything to contribute nor do I know if I would
> find the time. I might be busy for a longer period of time and not be
> able to give any input. I'm not even sure if I am willing to give input
> for various reasons.
>
> > I look forward to your feedback and to discussion of the charter.  If
> > you're interested in working on this, I especially hope to hear from you!
>
> >> *Proposed Name*: CELLAR: Codec Encoding for LossLess Archiving and
> Realtime
> >> transmission
>
> Does this name have any relevance later on? I don't know what 'Codec
> Encoding' would mean.
>
> STELLAR: STructured Encoding for LossLess Archiving and Realtime
> transmisson

The name doesn't have any significance other than as an identifier within
the IETF.  BTW, I love STELLAR!  I'm certainly happy to mention it as an
alternative.