[Matroska-devel] Adding V_VP8 and V_VP9 to spec for interop with WebM

Steve Lhomme slhomme at matroska.org
Sat Oct 17 13:12:22 CEST 2015

> Hi Steve, everyone,
>
> What are your thoughts on adding V_VP8 and V_VP9 to the MKV codec list?

Yes. More generally we need to work a lot of this codec list. That
will hopefully when we start the serious work on proper
speficications.

> As per:  http://www.webmproject.org/docs/container/
> Section: Demuxer and Muxer Guidelines
>
> When they refer to audio, they can just reference the Matroska spec for
> "A_VORBIS" or "A_OPUS".  However, for video, they need to augment the
> spec within the actual WebM spec.
>
> It would be cleaner to add to MKV:
>
> V_VP8 | VP8 Codec format
> V_VP9 | VP9 Codec format
>
> With a description of:
>
> There is no CodecPrivate data for VP8 or VP9.
> WebM Container reference:
> http://www.webmproject.org/docs/container/
> VP8 Codec references:
> http://www.webmproject.org/docs/webm-sdk/group__vp8__decoder.html
> http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc6386/

Sounds good.

> Similarly, they later spec:
>
> "Per the convention (see the Matroska Codec Specifications) used for
> flavors of a particular video or audio codec, the CodecID for a WebVTT
> track is "D_WEBVTT/ kind ", where kind is one of SUBTITLES, CAPTIONS,
> DESCRIPTIONS, or METADATA."
>
> Which implies:
> D_WEBVTT/SUBTITLES
> D_WEBVTT/CAPTIONS
> D_WEBVTT/DESCRIPTIONS
> D_WEBVTT/METADATA
>
> Thoughts?

Not sure about that. Do they have to be split ? Description and
metadata don't seem like streams that need to be interleaved with the
audio/video.

> -Nick

Steve Lhomme
Matroska association Chairman