[Matroska-devel] New Matroska field: 360°

Kirill Gavrilov gavr.mail at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 21:34:03 CEST 2015

> The current technology uses a very large picture frame and then displays
> them in a sphere to give the 360° effect.

There is also cubemap format (frame containing 6 sides of a cube) which can
be rendered using 3D graphic API
(e.g. GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP texture within OpenGL).

However there almost ZERO videos in such format (in contrast to spherical
panoramas),
I suppose this might be caused by more complicated workflow for generating
such frames from cameras.

There might be different ways to pack cubemap data:

   - 6 (or 12 for stereo) independent images per cube side.
   - 6 (or 12 for stereo) cube sides packed into single row (in order as
   they defined in OpenGL enumeration).
   This format is used for images within this gallery, for example:
   https://home.otoy.com/vr-competition/winners/
   - 6 (or 12 for stereo) cube sides packed in 2 rows.
   The only file I have seen in such format is Star Wars video on Facebook:
   https://www.facebook.com/StarWars.Ru/videos/832788183502726/
   Strangely, but they have flipped images horizontally (which differs from
   the images in above link).

So, I'm not sure if I can describe how this should be defined in matroska,
but if some of cubemap format will become popular - it certainly should be
somehow marked in the file.
Kirill Gavrilov,
Software designer.
<kirill at sview.ru>