[Matroska-devel] mkv standardization and documentation

Steve Lhomme slhomme at matroska.org
Sat May 2 19:01:48 CEST 2015

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 5:06 PM, Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> > The spec should be completely separate from the source code of these
> > utilities. The source code should not be normative either.
>
> It's correct that the Foundation repository mixes tools with specs
> (unfortunately). I'd rather not lose the history on any of the two.

Agreed on the history.
The "specs" in the Foundation repository is actually an XML source file
containing the Matroska semantics. It can also generate the table you see
in the Matroska specifications. But that's not where the history of changes
in the specs should be looked at.

Drupal has the revision feature where you can see all the changes that have
been made to the specs during the last 5 years. That's partial and no fancy
like github, but at least some of the data are still available.

> One possibility is to for the repo into one for the specs and one for
> the code, then remove the unwanted parts from each repo. This would also
> require either having duplicates of common code (the »corec« and
> »coremake« stuff) or to use submodules – as some of those tools are
> there solely for converting the specs into code automatically (the stuff
> in the »spectool« directory).

Forking one repo into another could be a possibility. Then they live their
own (cleaning) life.

> However, I'm currently unwilling to invest the effort; I've got more
> than enough to do as it is. If someone wants to do it then please speak
> up.
>
> Kind regards,
> mosu

> Read Matroska-Devel on GMane: