[Matroska-devel] EBML specification component for review - Element Data Size

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Fri May 1 17:50:07 CEST 2015

only in the element names, though, but also in the explanations (the
text you, Dave, have proposed still contains »widths«).

> > Right. So perhaps we need a specific constraints on the use of VOID
> > and CRC within an element of unknown size. It's hard to imagine the
> > use case of a CRC sub-element within an element of unknown size,
> > perhaps this can CRC within an unknown length element can simply be
> > forbidden.
> >
> > Would there be an issue with SimpleTag in the case of an unknown
> > size parent? SimpleTag can appear at several different levels.

Basically any multi-level EBML or DocType-specific element (EbmlVoid,
EbmlCrc, Matroska SimpleTag…) cannot be handled properly if its parent's
size is unknown as a parser cannot unambiguously determine its place in
the hierarchy. Therefore forbidding them sounds good to me.

By now I'm also in favor of restricting »unknown size« to a few cases at
most. The problem with detecting the next element unambiguously is one
of escaping. For example, if a cluster has an unknown length then a
parser would assume that any level 1 element (other cluster, tracks,
chapters, attachments, cues…) would signal the cluster's end. However,
such an ID may very well occur in e.g. the content of a KaxSimpleBlock.

If I remember correctly then libEBML contains some code for dealing with
this heuristically by reading the supposed next element's size field as
well and determining whether or not that seems plausible. I may be wrong
here.

Anyway, as wm4 said, this is very difficult at best for a
parser. Segments with an unknown size should be fine, but even clusters
don't strike me as a good candidate. Sure, a parser could improve that
heuristic further by not only reading the supposed element's ID and size
but also the next element's ID or something like that…

> It gets messy fast, which I think the use of elements with unknown
> length should be severely restricted.

Yep. Going out for a bike ride helps clear things up sometimes ;)

> > Doesn't it? If EBMLMaxSizeWidth=12 or EBMLMaxSizeWidth=8 then the
> > length of the 1-filled unknown size value changes accordingly,
> > right?

This is wrong. wm4 is right:

> In my understanding, there are multiple ways to encode the unknown
> size, and 0xFF is the shortest one. It's independent of
> EBMLMaxSizeWidth (it just restricts the maximum byte size you can use
> to encode the unknown size).

A size field (no matter how many bytes it's encoded with) whose bits are
all set to 1 signals an unknown size. 0xff does, as does 0x7f ff, 0x3f
ff ff etc.

Kind regards,
mosu