[Matroska-devel] EBML spec component for review - Abstract

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Fri May 1 11:55:00 CEST 2015

Hey,

> In my opinion the abstract in the EBML specification is better than
> that from the RFC draft, so I propose that the EBML spec abstract can
> be skipped.

This sentence doesn't make much sense to me. »A is better than B so
let's skip A«?

Anyway, I don't really like the spec abstract, but I almost like your
proposal:

> “EBML is designed to be a compact and simple binary storage format,
> inspired by XML, for the purpose of storing and manipulating all sorts
> of digital content and metadata in a hierarchical form with variable
> field length."

I almost like this. However, the _purpose_ is »storing and manipulating
all sorts of digital content and metadata«, maybe even »being compact
and simple to parse« at the same time. The rest, »in a hierarchical form
with variable field length«, is not its purpose, it's a technique used
for achieving our purpose.

Maybe something more like (please, native speakers, improve the
wording):

“EBML is designed to be a binary storage format, inspired by XML, for
the purpose of storing and manipulating all sorts of digital content and
metadata in a compact and simple form. It uses a hierarchical form with
variable field length."

Kind regards,
mosu