[Matroska-devel] EBML data type constraints

Dave Rice dave at dericed.com
Mon Jun 22 22:44:27 CEST 2015

Hi all,
Some of these have already been discussed but I want to verify these questions as I'm working on improvement the section of the spec that defines EBML Element Types (Data Types).

The EBML spec at http://matroska-org.github.io/libebml/specs.html <http://matroska-org.github.io/libebml/specs.html> says: "Signed Integer - Big-endian, any size from 1 to 8 octets" The RFC Draft at http://matroska.org/technical/specs/rfc/index.html <http://matroska.org/technical/specs/rfc/index.html> says: "Signed integer, represented in two's complement notation, sizes from 0-8 bytes."

Is a 0 sized (un)signed integer allowed?

Additionally, the EBML spec says that Floats may be either 4 or 8 bytes, while the RFC Draft says 0, 4, 8, or 10. Are 0 or 10 byte length floats allowed?

The RFC Draft says that a "string can be zero length" while the EBML spec doesn't say. Is a 0 sized string element allowed?

Best Regards,
Dave Rice