[Matroska-devel] FFV1/MKV IETF Session followup

Fri Jul 24 15:36:06 CEST 2015

23.07.2015, 01:44 Dave Rice:
> Hi all,

Hello,

if I have to summarize my reply it is 'subset'.

> that develop the Matroska and FFV1 specifications should not simply
> throw the specifications "over the wall" into IETF, but to move
> specification development itself to an IETF context in a way that
> brings our discussions currently in ffmpeg-devel and matroska-devel
> and integrates them into an IETF context.

I still wonder if the IETF welcomes it, anyway.

>> [...] Steve Lhome said that Matroska was designed for
>> streaming in networks and that Opus could be stored in Matroska for
>> streaming. Matroska is supported in Chrome, Firefox and MS Edge.

Don't care that much about names, but it should be 'Lhomme' instead of
'Lhome'.

How does one play a Matroska file with Firefox? It supports WebM which
is a subset of Matroska, but I am unable to play a Matroska file that
contains an h.264 encoded video, which is supported by Firefox as well.

>> Tessa said that although the specifications are already available
>> and the work is complete, the specifications would benefit from the
>> IETF review process.

The specifications would probably benefit from any review process.

>> Ben Campbell asked if it was ok if IETF take
>> over change control, and Tessa said that was understood. Ted Hardy
>> said that the community would need to participate in the IETF or
>> the effort would fail. Tessa said that she hoped the community and
>> IETF would come together. Steve Lhome, an original author of
>> Matroska, said he would continue to participate where ever the work
>> was going to happen.

What would 'take control' actually mean? Assuming Matroska v4 gets
standardized, could a potential Matroska v5 be created without the IETF?

Speaking of subsets. The WebM Project takes Matroska and transforms it
into something new (a subset), but Matroska stays what it is.

Why doesn't PREFORMA use a subset of Matroska, which would be
standardized on its own?

Best regards,
Sebastian G. (bastik)

p.s. I might not provide further input, today or tomorrow, depending on
whenever I'm at my computer or not.