[Matroska-devel] EBML data type constraints

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Thu Jul 2 14:49:45 CEST 2015

Hey,

> On Thu, 02 Jul 2015 14:37:38 +0200

> I agree. Though I'd lobby that strings with zero bytes are also
> discouraged this way.
>
> Maybe calling them "deprecated" is the right wording?

No, empty strings must remain possible, especially for a general purpose
base format for containers (don't think of Matroska!). The situation is
different than the one for integers. You can express »empty« for an
integer with a one-byte value part, but you can only do the equivalent
for a string with a string of 0 bytes length. We must allow it.

Kind regards,
mosu