[Matroska-devel] Assertion failure in EbmlElement.cpp:597

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Sun Jan 4 13:53:01 CET 2015

Hi all,

Just reporting a kind-of-bug I just hit in mkvmerge.  I was creating
an .mkv file and got this in the middle of it:

  mkvmerge: /build/libebml/src/libebml-1.3.0/make/linux/../../src/EbmlElement.cpp:597:
    filepos_t libebml::EbmlElement::Render(libebml::IOCallback&, bool,
    bool, bool): Assertion `false' failed.
  Aborted (core dumped)

After a bit of investigating I realised it was because I ran out of
disk space in the middle of the write, but looking at the code it says
"we should never be here!" so I just wanted to report a condition that
does cause you to be there :-)

Maybe printing the exception and then terminating would be a good idea -
a "write error" would make me look at my own system but an "assertion
failure" makes me think it's a bug!

Cheers,
Adam.