[Matroska-devel] JPEG 2000 codec support

Antonin Descampe antonin.descampe at uclouvain.be
Fri Feb 13 15:58:30 CET 2015

> Le 13 févr. 2015 à 12:06, wm4 <nfxjfg at googlemail.com> a écrit :
>
> On Wed, 4 Feb 2015 15:37:29 +0000
> Antonin Descampe <antonin.descampe at uclouvain.be> wrote:
>
>> Dear Matroska developers ,
>>
>> In the context of an EU-funded project called PREFORMA dealing with long-term preservation archives, we need to wrap JPEG 2000 frames using MKV.
>
> That sounds insane to me. Why did they choose JPEG 2000? It has bad
> support in open source and AFAIR has nothing on h264 as far as
> compression efficiency and quality goes.

Well, I have quite a different opinion.
Concerning open-source support, there is the openjpeg library.
Concerning compression efficiency and quality, JPEG 2000 and H264 are suited for completely different use cases. In the case of long-term preservation  archives where they need high bitrate (possibly lossless) compression, JPEG 2000 makes perfectly sense. That’s probably why well-known institutions like INA (french archives), British library, or Library of congress have opted for J2K for their assets. In addition to this, J2K is royalty-free, which is not the case of h264.