[Matroska-devel] overall bitrate / track bitrate

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Wed Aug 12 12:16:31 CEST 2015

Hey,

> Is there a way to get the overall bitrate as well as the bitrate of at
> least the primary video track without scanning the whole file? Like
> can it somehow calculated by just using the meta in the file's header?

Matroska itself doesn't provide any header fields for such
information. So generally the answer is »no«.

However, mkvmerge has been creating statistics tags for a couple of
months now. If such tags are present then those can be evaluated. The
MediaInfo authors promised to use that information, but I don't know
whether or not they've gotten around to implementing support for them
yet.

See https://github.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolnix/wiki/Automatic-tag-generation

Kind regards,
mosu