[Matroska-devel] validity?

Dave Rice dave at dericed.com
Mon Aug 3 17:43:16 CEST 2015

Hi all,
I'm working at creating a set of test files to show validation issues with various areas of the specification. From this I have a few questions and probably many more coming.

- Are undefined/unknown/unregistered elements allowed in the EBML Header? For a MKV file are Elements that are not in either the EBML or MKV spec allowed?

- Is it correct that mandatory elements are optional unless they have no registered default value? If a mandatory element does not appear then the default value is used. Thus "WritingApp" which is mandatory but has no default MUST appear but TimecodeScale which is mandatory but with a default may or may not appear.

- When is Element ordering important? Can EBML Elements be in any order? I imagine having a bunch of Clusters in random order may make playback difficult.

Dave Rice