[Matroska-devel] EBML spec component for review - Abstract

Dave Rice dave at dericed.com
Tue Apr 28 15:38:52 CEST 2015

> On Apr 27, 2015, at 7:28 PM, Erik Piil <piil.erik at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> Opening up discussion regarding the "Abstract" portion of the earlier EBML RFC Draft, for revision/incorporation into the EBML spec. From the RFC Draft:
>
> "Abstract
>
> The extensible binary markup language, EBML, is a binary language for storing hierarchical, typed in data in a compact, yet easily parsed format.”

In my opinion the abstract in the EBML specification is better than that from the RFC draft, so I propose that the EBML spec abstract can be skipped.

The corresponding part of the EBML spec abstract is:

"EBML was designed to be a simplified binary extension of XML for the purpose of storing and manipulating data in a hierarchical form with variable field lengths.” [1]

On the other hand I’ve never found the word “extension” to be the best word in this context. How about:

“EBML is designed to be a compact and simple binary storage format, inspired by XML, for the purpose of storing and manipulating all sorts of digital content and metadata in a hierarchical form with variable field length."

Dave Rice

[1] https://github.com/Matroska-Org/libebml/blob/gh-pages/index.html#L34