[Matroska-devel] mkv standardization and documentation

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Tue Apr 21 16:43:39 CEST 2015

Hey,

> …it seems that the RFC EBML draft is unofficial…

Correct.

> There is a lot of significant description about EBML that only appears
> in the RFC draft, and it would be great to incorporate this
> information into the main specification prior to IETF submission.

Definitely. Finishing the RFC or fleshing out the specs is very much
wanted.

> What would be the best method for considering this content for
> inclusion into the main specification? Can I open tickets for selected
> passages?

Hmm. Traditionally all _discussion_ about the EBML and Matroska
specification took place here on this list (and for smaller, not so
relevant parts on IRC). I'd rather keep it that way – not because I
think that mailing lists are that much superior to GitHub but in order
not to spread it out over too many sites.

However, if it's only about including certain parts then pull requests
are probably the best things to have.

And for pull requests we would need to include the RFC in the Foundation
repository[3]which it currently isn't. Which leads us directly to the
next question:

> Additionally, I noticed that the RFC EBML draft found at
> http://matroska.org/technical/specs/rfc/index.html appears to be under
> copyright. Did Nilsson give Matroska permission to distribute/build upon
> this draft?

Not that I remember. That discussion took place in February and March of
2004 (!) [1][2].

I'd suggest the following:

- We contact Martin Nilsson and ask him to either assign the copyright
  to the Matroska organization (Steve Lhomme has created a French not
  for profit organization) or to place that RFC draft under a permissive
  license.

- If he agrees we import the RFC as it is into the Foundation git
  repo[3].

- Discussion about the RFC should take place on this list.

- Requests for changes in either the EBML specs of the RFC should be
  posted as pull requests or issues on the Foundation repo via Github.

How does that sound?

Kind regards,
mosu

[1] http://lists.matroska.org/pipermail/matroska-devel/2004-February/thread.html