[Matroska-devel] Matroska-devel Digest, Vol 139, Issue 1

Jerome Martinez jerome at mediaarea.net
Fri Apr 17 15:14:37 CEST 2015

Le 17/04/2015 15:04, Marcus Johnson a écrit :
> Why LPCM (which I assume is using wav, wav64, RF64, or BWF) instead of
> FLAC?

Audio bitrate is usually a lot lower than video bitrate (and it is more
and more true with higher video resolutions, we don't increase so much
the channel count or bit depth), and lot of professional users (memory
institutions, broadcasters...) consider that having an audio codec
provides too much complexity compared to the overall (audio+video)
compression ratio benefit.
This may change in the future.