[Matroska-devel] mkv standardization and documentation

Dave Rice dave at dericed.com
Thu Apr 16 22:04:52 CEST 2015

Hi Matroska-devel,

	As you may have heard, PREFORMA (a Pre-Commercial Procurement (PCP) project co-funded by the European Commission under its FP7-ICT Programme) is a project to address the challenge of implementing good quality standardised file formats for preserving data content in the long term. The project selected several audiovisual formats to focus on and MediaArea wrote a proposal focusing on three of their selections: FFV1, LPCM, and Matroska. As part of the proposal we noted that Matroska and FFV1 have not undergone a formal standardization process and wrote up these plans [1] to attempt to facilitate this via the IETF. Last week PREFORMA announced that MediaArea’s proposal was selected to continue to the prototyping phase [2].

	In combing through the MKV documentation during the design phase we have a few recommendations for the existing documentation and want to start sending pull requests. At the moment our intent is not to change the current version of Matroska but to clarify, refine, and correct any issue in the existing documentation in order to get it into better shape to submit as an Informational Standard to the IETF. We hope to work closely with the community at matroska-devel during this, please let us know if there is any objection or concern.

	It made sense to us to start a documentation review with EBML and then work towards Matroska’s documentation. With EBML I see there are two main documentation sets: a draft RFC at http://matroska.org/technical/specs/rfc/index.html <http://matroska.org/technical/specs/rfc/index.html> and the EBML sourceforce page at http://ebml.sourceforge.net/specs/ <http://ebml.sourceforge.net/specs/>. The two sets seem that have diverged at some point; for instance the RFC draft labels element id 0x42F2 as EBMLMaxIDWidth whereas the sourceforge site calls is EBMLMaxIDLength. The definitions for the CRC Element vary between the two as well in respect to ordering. So does either the RFC draft or the specs at Sourceforce take precedent over the other? What is the status of the RFC draft of EBML?

Best Regards,
Dave Rice

[1] https://github.com/MediaArea/MediaConch/blob/master/StandardsNarrative.md <https://github.com/MediaArea/MediaConch/blob/master/StandardsNarrative.md>
[2] http://www.digitalmeetsculture.net/article/kick-off-of-the-prototyping-phase/ <http://www.digitalmeetsculture.net/article/kick-off-of-the-prototyping-phase/>