[Matroska-devel] Opus in Matroksa Cont.

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Sat May 25 09:35:51 CEST 2013

Hey,

if your current timecode scheme is not sample-precise then scaling it
by a factor won't make it sample-precise. If a raw timecode of 1000
represents a full second then there is simply no way to express
sample-precision with such a low value for anything that uses a
sampling frequency higher than 1000 Hz -- e.g. all audio codecs.

Also: using the number of samples per packet as the numerator would
make timecode resolution a lot worse than it is with ms precision and
timecodes. A lot of times people want to shift audio or video by
amounts that are not simply a multiple of the basic interval (with
basic interval meaning the duration of a single frame for videos or a
full audio packet).

This simply won't work... So please can we drop the idea of cramming a
numerator/denominator scheme into this? We don't need it in order to
make a useful spec for Opus, and as can be seen by this discussion
doing so is far from trivial and requires a lot of thought. This
delays the implementation of Opus unnecessarily in my opinion.

Kind regards,
mosu