[Matroska-devel] Opus in Matroksa Cont.

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Fri May 24 23:11:50 CEST 2013

Hey,

> I think making a big backwards-incompatible change is fine, at some point. I just don't think
> trying to accurately represent how the encoders/muxers currently handle codec delay and
> padding, warrants that kind of change.

I agree with both statements. At one point we may have to take it to
the next level and include a lot of incompatible changes including
re-working how timecodes are calculated. But this doesn't seem to be
the time for it. We have to easy-to-use solutions for representing
preroll: either in samples (with "fields" being the "sample rate" for
video tracks) or with a timecode that is not scaled by timecode scale
(like we do with other elements), meaning a value representing a
number of nanoseconds.

Of those two I'd prefer the timecode-based version -- simply because
it's a tiny bit more flexible (we could then use that field for other
things that don't have a sample rate like subtitle tracks).

Kind regards,
mosu