[Matroska-devel] Opus in Matroksa Cont.

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Fri May 24 09:12:27 CEST 2013

Hey,

and how would you express the actual timecode (or sample position)
inside BlockGroup and SimpleBlock? For BlockGroup you could add a new
element, but for SimpleBlock it's not as simple as it is not a master
element. Which would mean that we cannot use SimpleBlocks anymore --
which would be a shame (and a file size increase).

In order to stay fully sample-precise we would also need new elements
for DefaultDuration and ClusterTimecode (assuming we still want to use
offsets in the actual blocks instead of absolute sample positions). We
would also need one ClusterTimecode per track because all tracks can
use different scale factors. That would mean to make that a new master
with a new sub-master and two new elements (track ID + cluster sample
position).

And what about cues? Do we introduce sample precision there as well?
Even more new elements to write and read.

And when can we stop writing old elements? Probably never (or at least
not in the foreseeable future).

On top of that such a change would mean a pretty hefty file size
overhead. If we really decide to go into this I'll gladly do the math,
but I don't really like this proposal.

Kind regards,
mosu