[Matroska-devel] Original video language, best prattice ?

Smeulf smeulf at hotmail.fr
Sat May 18 20:41:21 CEST 2013

Hi Everyone,

Let's assume a MKV, with 2 languages (ie one english and one french) and
multiple subtitles.

The original language for the video is english. But I can't find any field
to mark the audio stream as 'original stream'.

I think the language fild on the video stream is intended for that purpose,
but I'm not sure about that.

So my questions are : Is that right ? Is it the right way to remember that
information ? Or is it not possible currently ?

Why ? Well, I always prefer watching a viedo with the original audio and
subtitles. The goal behind that question is to be able to have some rules
about the audio and subtitles selection in a specific software and
'overwrite' a bit the default tracks : if enabled, rules would do something
like this :

- If original audio (set on the video track or anywhere else according best
practices) is present AND subtitles in a specific language (ie french) are
present then select thoses tracks
- If original audio is not present, or french subs are not, then select
french audio track without any subs
- If french audio is not present, then fallback to default mkv settings

Hope my question is clear enough.

All the best.

Smeulf.