[Matroska-devel] Mappings for HEVC/H.265 in Matroska

Jan Ekstrom jeebjp at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 21:53:09 CEST 2013

On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 12:45 AM, Hendrik Leppkes <h.leppkes at gmail.com> wrote:
> Since AVC/H264 simply copied the MP4 spec for the CodecPrivate, it
> would seem sensible for HEVC to do the same, that way a player only
> has to implement processing for one structure, and not MP4 and MKV
> separately.

Agreed, of course. The only "problem" with following/copying HEVC FF
(what the thing is being called now) is that there is still no final
draft available for it, so we wouldn't be able to discuss or implement
it yet. The PDF'ized version of an earlier draft I linked in my quick
addition to the opening post (
http://lists.matroska.org/pipermail/matroska-devel/2013-April/004441.html
) is the last public version, and after that it's been all internal it
seems. According to the GPAC project, there have been quite a few
changes since, so using the last draft as a base wouldn't exactly be
safe either.

That said, the original plan for HEVC FF was to have it go through the
final ballot so that it finishes in July, it seems. That would mean
that the last draft should be posted on mp4-sys soon'ish (as in,
during this month). If that happens, it should provide a nice point of
entry for discussion surrounding this issue.

Jan Ekström