[Matroska-devel] HEVC in mkvtoolnix not as in MP4

Jerome Martinez jerome at mediaarea.net
Fri Jun 7 15:41:18 CEST 2013

I am trying to implement support of HEVC in Matroska, based on the
proposal of DivX, and I am surprised: CodecPrivate part of AVC was
exactly the same as in MP4, and the current proposal for HEVC is
definitely not the same as in MP4.

So there are 2 issues with such implementation:
- Developers will have to write useless additional code for Matroska
support. The work for MP4 could be reused, as for AVC
- Current proposal of CodecPrivate is missing information about
profile_space, tier_flag, profile_compatibility_indications,
constraint_indicator_flags... remux is more difficult. The wheel is
reinvented, with missing elements.

Is there any good reason not to reuse the specifications of MP4?

Jerome Martinez