[Matroska-devel] Mappings for HEVC/H.265 in Matroska

Jan Ekstrom jeebjp at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 16:44:29 CEST 2013

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 5:20 PM, Hendrik Leppkes <h.leppkes at gmail.com> wrote:
> Any decoder that wants to play HEVC Annex B elementary streams, or
> muxed in transport streams, will need to support in-band
> reconfiguration, so it would seem to be the logical choice to keep the
> update NALs inside the bitstream for highest compatibility.
> If a muxer wants, it could copy them into CodecState (even if i really
> don't see the point of that), but it should definitely leave them in
> the bitstream.
>
> Also, in my opinion the format should not dictate any constraints if a
> specific NAL is allowed to be muxed - even if its useless.
> A smart muxer can always opt to skip them and reduce file size.

Alrighty, I most definitely do not disagree on either point. Just that
I noticed the CodecState structure some time ago with regards to
MPEG-2 video, and decided to see how its usage with HEVC would be
viewed. The latter point I mostly brought up because a certain other
container decided to ban all kinds of padding when muxing AVC into it,
so I was interested if anyone would prefer something like that with
Matroska as well. My personal opinion is quite similar to madshi's.

Jan Ekström

--
I'm human - no debug