[Matroska-devel] Mappings for HEVC/H.265 in Matroska

Hendrik Leppkes h.leppkes at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 16:20:06 CEST 2013

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 3:06 PM, Jan Ekstrom <jeebjp at gmail.com> wrote:

> This then takes us to parameter set updates: Should these be handled
> in the stream, or should a CodecState element be used? Also, should
> FD_NUT be an acceptable NAL unit to be muxed in?

Any decoder that wants to play HEVC Annex B elementary streams, or
muxed in transport streams, will need to support in-band
reconfiguration, so it would seem to be the logical choice to keep the
update NALs inside the bitstream for highest compatibility.
If a muxer wants, it could copy them into CodecState (even if i really
don't see the point of that), but it should definitely leave them in
the bitstream.

Also, in my opinion the format should not dictate any constraints if a
specific NAL is allowed to be muxed - even if its useless.
A smart muxer can always opt to skip them and reduce file size.