[Matroska-devel] spec notes: version fields, unknown elements

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Wed Jan 2 12:52:28 CET 2013

Hey,

I've updated the specification notes page
(http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/notes.html ) with two
sections I consider rather important. I'd like some feedback on them.
Note that I've only recorded our understanding of how things always
intended to be -- at least as far as I understood them.

First section is about the two different version fields,
DocTypeVersion and DocTypeReadVersion, and what a reading application
may infer from them (and what it must not do):
http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/notes.html#version-indicators

Second section is about unknown elements and what an application
must/must do if it encounters them:
http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/notes.html#unknown-elements

I've also updated the notes regarding the v4 column to make it clear
that the v4 specs have not been finalized yet.

Kind regards,
mosu