[Matroska-devel] Mappings for HEVC/H.265 in Matroska

Jan Ekstrom jeebjp at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 13:45:13 CEST 2013

Hello,

I would like to begin a discussion about the mapping of ISO/IEC HEVC |
ITU-T H.265 in the context of Matroska, as the specification has been
ratified as an ITU-T Recommendation¹ in the middle of April, while on
the ISO/IEC side the FDIS Ballot should end towards the middle-to-end
or so of May.

I have not had a look at the first official versions of the
specification/recommendation, but I think it can be derived that the
version 34 of Draft 10² is very close to if not exactly what was put
to go through the FDIS Ballot / ITU-T Last Call towards the end of
March. As such, it can be used as the specification onto which this
discussion can base itself on. For the currently ongoing Incheon
meeting, there is a document called "Editors' proposed corrections to
HEVC version 1"³ , the newest version of which can also be used as a
pointer in case it has any useful changes noted in it. For a general
overview on the HEVC format, the IEEE text "Overview of the High
Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) Standard"⁴ will most likely be of use.

One of the points that has come up during related discussion on IRC
has been the fact that in addition to the well-known IDR picture type
that is generally used with closed GOP structures, there is now a
new(?) type of picture called RAP ("random access point"), which
encompasses IDRs, as well as two new picture types generally thought
to be useful for Open GOP structures: CRA (''clean random access")
picture and BLA ("broken link access") picture. Granted my experience
with the specification is rather low, but I would think that from the
container's point of view these could be considered more or less the
same thing (a frame that can be seeked to), although I am not sure how
this would or should be implemented.

In any case, I hope this e-mail will bring upon some discussion
regarding the implementation of HEVC muxing in Matroska. Various
HM10.0-created anchor bit streams for HEVC can be found at the BBC
FTP⁵. In case GMail's web interface decides to make this e-mail rather
unreadable for certain e-mail clients, I do apologize for this before
hand.

- Jan Ekström

Footnotes:

¹:  http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-H.265/en
²a: http://phenix.int-evry.fr/jct/doc_end_user/current_document.php?id=7243
²b: http://phenix.int-evry.fr/jct/doc_end_user/documents/12_Geneva/wg11/JCTVC-L1003-v34.zip
³:  http://phenix.int-evry.fr/jct/doc_end_user/current_document.php?id=7706
⁴:  http://iphome.hhi.de/wiegand/assets/pdfs/2012_12_IEEE-HEVC-Overview.pdf
⁵:  ftp://ftp.kw.bbc.co.uk/hevc/hm-10.0-anchors/bitstreams/

--
I'm human - no debug