[Matroska-devel] Question about Matroska's Enable/Hidden flag of Chapter/Edition

Harfe Leier astrataro at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 04:56:09 CEST 2013

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your explanation. I thought edition is just a highest level root
chapter, but it seems to be different when being processed.

So what does EditionFlagHidden actually mean? Does it mean everything of
this edition is hidden ( or in other words, disabled ) as if this edition
does not exist, or this edition is still processed but just not available
to the user interface ( say, edition switching menu or something like that
)?

What if one matroska file contains only one edition, of which
EditionFlagHidden is set to be 1? Should the demuxer just ignore this
edition and process as if it is a normal non-chaptered segment, or still
uses the edition including ordered chapters if there are any but does not
expose the inside chapter entries to the user interface, or such files are
completely invalid?

And what if one file has an edition being default but also hidden, while
another edition is not hidden but also not default, should the demuxer use
the default one or the non-hidden one?