[Matroska-devel] Tagging MKV files

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Sat Sep 15 16:35:52 CEST 2012

Hey,

On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 4:26 PM, Steve Lhomme <slhomme at matroska.org> wrote:

> Now I never liked the idea of a secondary SeekHead in the first place.

It's absolutely necessary in order to be able to edit files in place,
especially when adding information like the title, tags, chapters or
attachments. If it weren't allowed you'd always have to remux the
whole file. This would make Matroska way, way more useless in my
opinion -- we're talking about a format for daily use vs. a format
primarily for archiving (create once, don't touch again).

I feel very strongly about this whole point. If you'd say that linked
seek heads would violate specs then I would quit Matroska development
immediately. Don't take this as a threat; you didn't say that. I'm
trying to make a point. If it weren't allowed then you could
completely forget about things like mmg's header editor, its chapter
editor, 3rd party tag editors etc. They all would have to re-mux the
whole friggin' file and users would simply abandon the format.

Kind regards,
mosu