[Matroska-devel] File with no SeekHead

Steve Lhomme slhomme at matroska.org
Sat Sep 15 12:54:44 CEST 2012

On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 12:09 PM, Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Steve Lhomme <slhomme at matroska.org> wrote:
>
>> I don't understand the confusion in the spec (luckily). It says this
>> for SeekPosition:
>> "The position of the element in the segment in octets (0 = first level
>> 1 element)."
>
> The first level 1 element does not HAVE to be located exactly there.
> There could also be an EbmlVoid element or there could just be a bunch
> of 0s. Yes, that would be stretching the specs, but it is not 100%
> clear. That's why I changed the wording today.

Yes, it could be other "any-level" elements, but definitely not Level
2+ elements. I count these any-level elements (EbmlVoid and EbmlCRC32)
as being part of any level at once, rather than none. So I count them
as Level 1 in this case. Of course more explanation doesn't hurt.

> Kind regards,
> mosu

Steve Lhomme
Matroska association Chairman