[Matroska-devel] File with no SeekHead

Dan Hinsley danhi at cox.net
Fri Sep 14 23:05:12 CEST 2012

I understand that this is probably non-standard, but just trying to cover
all possibilities.  I created a file with no SeekHead.  So from reading the
spec, what I should do is create one that is referenced off the first Level
1 Element (in my case a Segment Info Element).  So I do this and write the
SeekHead out at the end of the file and increase the size of the enclosing
Segment to include it.

Having done this, VLC (the only player I've found that seems to show all the
tags, cover art and Chapter info) doesn't seem to find any of the
information.  Then when I run mkvinfo on the file, it seeks the SeekHead,
but it treats the offsets as offsets from the beginning of the file, not
from the first Level 1 element (not even from the Segment itself, but from
the beginning which is an EBML element .

In reading the spec, what I say above seems correct (offset from first level
1 element) but from reading an earlier email, it appears that the offset
should be from the beginning of the data of the segment (which still doesn't
quite seem to match mkvinfo).

So, what is the correct Seek Position base, the start of the segment data or
the first Level 1 Element/

Thanks,

Dan