[Matroska-devel] how to add audio streams to ebml?

Ralph Giles giles at thaumas.net
Fri Sep 14 17:47:23 CEST 2012

On 12-09-13 5:14 PM, Moi Smeulf wrote:

> What about add it as a possible codec for audio in the matroska spces ?
> I have the feeling this will be very used in the future...

See the thread here for previous discussion:
http://lists.matroska.org/pipermail/matroska-devel/2011-December/004153.html

And there's a spec draft at https://wiki.xiph.org/MatroskaOpus

However, Matroska needs two new elements to support Opus properly, and
it's not clear we have any concensus from implementors to deploy them.

In the meantime Opus deployment efforts have concentrated on the  .opus
format, which uses Ogg for framing. This is supported in ffmpeg,
gstreamer, foobar2000, Firefox, VLC, BASS, and a number of other tools.

 -r