[Matroska-devel] Tagging MKV files

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Sat Sep 1 20:14:49 CEST 2012

Hey,

On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 7:47 PM, Dan Hinsley <danhi at cox.net> wrote:

> OK, just one more question (for now), the spec says that the offset is from
> the FIRST level 1 element, which in the examples I'm looking at is the
> seekhead, but is this always the case or do I need to keep track of the
> first level 1 element no matter what it is?

Huh, I never noticed that exact wording. But what I've described is
more in the spirit of what was meant. The specs simply assume that the
first level 1 element inside a segment is also located directly at the
data start position -- that there are no "gaps" in the form of 0x00
bytes. However, we should change the spec, I guess, as it is a bit
misleading.

Kind regards,
mosu