[Matroska-devel] MVC codec in Matroska container - resend

Peter Wimmer peter.wimmer at 3dtv.at
Fri Nov 30 13:21:51 CET 2012

Sorry if you got this email twice, but the first didn't arrive in my inbox...

Hi,

MVC streams have a subset SPS and a second PPS. These should be put in a new CodecPrivateEx or CodecPrivateMvc element. Appending the subset SPS to the SPS/PPS in the CodecPrivater data crashes existing parsers (according to Mike from MakeMKV).

My posting here is related to this discussion: http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4781&p=23980&hilit=3dtv.at#p23980

MakeMKV currently creates MKV files without the subset SPS in the header. This makes it impossible to find out if it is an AVC or MVC file without parsing the bitstream, and makes parsing the Matroska file as inconvenient as an MPEG transport stream. On the other hand, MP4 did it well: In the MP4 container, this issue has been solved with the mvcC atom that exists in addition to the avcC atom if it is a MVC file. The mvcC atom containsd the subset SPS and the second PPS.

The MP4 avcC atom corresponds to Matroska's CodecPrivate element.
The MP4 mvcC atom would  corresponds to Matroska's new CodecPrivateEx/Mvc element.

I hope for a quick addition of MVC to the Matroska spec. Otherwise, the current less-than-ideal MakeMVC approach will become the defacto standard.

I've already added MVC supported to the MP4 and MPEG-TS of MPC-HC because I use these splitters in the Stereoscopic Player. Parts of my patches (http://www.3dtv.at/OpenSource) have already be added to the MPC-HC repository.

Best regards,
Peter

3dtv.at
Peter Wimmer