[Matroska-devel] practical limit on number of frames in a lace?

Pavel Koshevoy pkoshevoy at gmail.com
Wed May 9 21:36:36 CEST 2012

Hi,

In my matroska muxer I try to cram as many audio frames into the lace as
I can before the next video frame comes along, then I start a new
SimpleBlock (and new lace obviously).  However, when processing an audio
only compression there are no video frames available to limit the audio
lace from growing too large.  That is how I've made a 30 second MKA file
with Vorbis audio, where 250 frames are stuffed into a single
SimpleBlock in a lace.

Media Player Classic can't play this file.  Neither can ffmpeg.  mkclean
(v0.8.6) segfaulted when I tried using it to remux the file.

The absolute limit on the number of frames in a lace is 256.  What is
the practical limit?  Also, does anyone care to see this 360Kb file I've
made?

Thank you,
     Pavel.

PS. As a workaround I've modified my muxer to limit the number of frames
in a lace to 8.